[Rhodes22-list] Captain(as in naval and not aeronautical) Brad Haslett

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Aug 13 09:47:27 EDT 2007

Ed,

My S2 is a 9.2 meters model, meaning 30 feet.  It draws 4' 11" and will
easily go down "the ditch".  There is no point even thinking about making
the trip to Gulfport with the boat until some docks become available.  I've
been doing some planning though, and we could de-mast and move the boat to
our equipment yard out of harm's way in anticipation of a hurricane.  Or, do
what everyone else did and just leave it loosely tied to collect the
insurance on a boat that wouldn't sell.

The item I'm looking for is called a sheepsfoot roller (tow-behind) or a
vibratory drum roller (too expensive).  I've located three sheepsfoots
around the Mid-South that I'm keeping an eye on.  The tug boat is something
I've thought about but don't have the money for right now.  There is a
demand occasionally for a barge-mounted long stick-long boom trackhoe.
We're cleaning out a pond today with our 38,000 pound machine and the
customer has a five acre pond he wants dredged.  A barge mounted hoe would
be perfect but for one small problem, where the hell would we find someone
to run the tug?  Good employees are almost impossible to find.

Speaking of which, Mari, our best employee by far including my brother and
myself, turned our dump truck on its side Saturday.  It wasn't her fault and
she wasn't seriously hurt, thank goodness.  We drove the truck back to the
shop and it can be put back in service after some repairs.  That's two dump
trucks overturned in less than 8 months.  I'm thinking about having all our
dirt sent by FedEx.  Might be cheaper in the long run.

Brad