[Rhodes22-list] History? Politics? School Days?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 12:00:50 EDT 2007

Mary,

There seems to be a growing interest in the "Greatest Generation".  Even as
a child I was a history junkie and begged my Dad for WW2 stories.  He
wouldn't indulge but for a funny tale or two, like how they would put canned
Spam on the manifold of their deuce-and-a-half truck (he drove in the Red
Ball Express, Patton's supply chain delivery system) to warm it up.  Usually
there would be enough bottlenecks for them to retrieve the "meat" but
occasionally the convoy would keep moving and their "meat" would blow up.
I'd pull old black and white photos out of a drawer in my parent's bedroom
and play "fifty questions", but he'd tear-up and stop talking.  In the last
few years, one of the teachers in my hometown has invited him to address her
class every year and he now seems to relish the attention.  Let's see, he's
85, it only took 50 years.  I appreciate efforts like Ms. Cothern's to
record their memories.  One of the members of his unit kept a diary of their
experience from enlistment through victory in Europe.  My dad and another
farm boy, last name Hansen, were famous for "liberating" French cows when
they had the chance and feeding the unit steaks instead of Spam. The Haslett
and Hansen team were very popular. Dad came home from Germany and married
Mom, who was working in a defense plant in Springfield, IL, and more or less
lived happily ever after.  We may never see such a period in history again.

About 15 years ago I was sitting airport standby in Indy and got launched in
the wee hours to take a good 727 to replace one that had blown an engine in
Cedar Rapids, Iowa.  CID wasn't a layover city for us so we were on our own
when we got there.  The cab that picked us up had a 95th Infantry Division
sticker on the rear window.  I knew the 95th was a reserve unit in Little
Rock, far removed from the 95th ID that my Dad served in.  I asked the
driver what the sticker was about.  "Oh that's some World War Two shit the
owner puts on all the cabs".  I called Dad and he said, "that's Kid Shaefer,
all he talked about was going home to Cedar Rapids and starting a cab
company".  I called "Kid Shaefer" later after some sleep and it was one of
the richest days of my life.

Brad