[Rhodes22-list] Hank's Genoa - Technical aspects...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Aug 20 19:37:19 EDT 2007

Why do we have the sacrificial strip?  The single most important reason is
ultraviolet light.  UV causes structural deterioration of fabric, paints,
plastics and many other things.  So they put on a sacrificial strip that can
be replaced.  But the sacrificial can be made more UV resistant, thru
additives.  The additives that are most effective are certain dyes.  The two
most effective dyes are black and blue.  That is why there are more
sacrificial strips of these two colors.  That is why Sunbrella’s best seller
is blue.  While UV additives can be added to other colors including white,
the most effective additives to date are black and blue colors.  It matters
not so much that the some strips are of Dacron but whether they are black or
blue.

This same line of reasoning is why some boats are outfitted with tan bark
dyed sails, because they are not white and therefore last longer because
they are less affected by UV deterioration.

This is a time when I wish old Roger were still around and spouting
technical correctness.  I think that Lou needs to invite the oracle of
engineering back.  Lou where is the documentation of your high achievement?
Where are the pictures?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
"For on an open boat, close to the water, with sheet in one hand and tiller
in the other, one tames the elements and turns them to his own purpose." Dan
Spurr
:wistle: