[Rhodes22-list] Ohio water

cjlowe cjlowe at bright.net
Thu Aug 23 21:51:51 EDT 2007

Funny you should mention it. We went to check on CR last night, don't think
I'll be sailing this weekend. Usually,we go down 8 steps then up a 8 foot
ramp to the floating dock. Last night,water covered the third step from the
top and there was 6 feet of water between the step and the close end of the
ramp.Not in the mood to swim,I hop back in the car and start to head out,as
I pass the next set of docks,I notice a plank about 8' long setting across
that set of steps.Being the crafty sailor that I think I am,I figure that
that plank should span the gap between the steps and the ramp.I have Carol
roll down the back window of the 4-runner,and I stick the plank in the
back,and back -up 75 feet to my dock.The plank fits with a foot to spare on
each end,I turn around and give my wife my best-didn't you marry a smart
man- look,she just says "be careful",like something could go wrong.
It wasn't until I trotted my fat ass about two feet out on that plank,that I
remembered that the ramp usually resides on a step that's about 4 feet under
the water,and about that moment the ramp decided it didn't need my weight
and dived for that aforementioned step ,four feet under.The ramp end of the
plank was in cahoots with the ramp and closely followed it.I hit reverse as
the plank turned into sliding board ,and found a step about 3 feet under
water.As I climbed up the steps out of the lake,I told Carol "the boat looks
OK, lets go check out the rest of the lake."
The water has risen 2 more feet since then,so I'm sure that I can't get
under the power lines that cross the lake in two places.

Jerry Lowe