[Rhodes22-list] teachers - Chris?

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 04:10:36 EDT 2007

JB,

I think people become teachers for one of two reasons.  Either they had a
great teacher that inspired them so much as to want to continue their work,
or they had such a bad teacher that they want to go into the field to
correct what went wrong.  Or both.  I had both.

You may be right about higher ed teachers being on ego trips.  Most of my
college profs were like that, but the same cannot be said of primary and
secondary teachers.  Working in the trenches of public schools destroys any
ego you might have had when you started.  It's a very humbling job.  You
start to feel like you're the bottom of the food chain.  Every body's your
boss--the Principal, the parents, the school board, the legislature, even
the students are your boss.   That whole "public servant" thing got to
me--big time--and I bailed.  But don't go bashing teachers who are more
willing than I and are sticking it out.  It's a dirty job and someone has to
do it!  My hat's off to those who somehow manage to find the joy and
fulfillment of teaching our country's youth.

Example:  Here in Minnesota, (starting wage--26K)  high school students' car
insurance is determined by their grades.  If I give a kid a "D" in Band,
I'll get an angry call from the dad who doesn't give a rip about music but
he has to shell out more money for his kid's car insurance, and I'm to
blame!!

Like Elle said, walk a mile.

Slim, still keeping my MN teaching licence current just in case...