[Rhodes22-list] teachers - Chris?

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Aug 24 06:29:13 EDT 2007

Elle & Slim,

Maybe I got really lucky but I had almost a handful of very dedicated and
proficient teachers in the very tiny public school I attended.  MY HS
science teacher was the one who inspired me to learn to fly between my
Freshman and Sophomore year.  I remain friends with my HS guidance counselor
and share e-mails weekly.  I was so bored my Senior year I convinced the
school board to allow me to drive my own car to the county vocational school
to attend Distributive Ed.  My DE instructor knew I working on an Airframe
and Powerplant apprenticeship so he didn't require me to attend class, but
enabled me to drive straight to the airport and work.  That later caused
some problems when my Principal visited the vocational school one day and
found out I didn't attend class.  He suspended me for three days, which was
hardly any punishment.  I later got suspended again, this time perhaps
justly, for buzzing an afternoon PE class at my HS low enough to have the
coach and his students lying face down in the dirt.  Then I got expelled for
taking off for three days on a flying expedition.  The Illinois State Board
of Education put the fear of God in me that I needed to beg my way back in
school (only two months to go) and failed to mention that my college
entrance exam scores were high enough to not even bother with graduating
from HS.  My boss came up with a better idea - we blackmailed two school
board members for some of their extra-curricular activities and they did my
bidding for me.  By the time I did start college I had been on my own for a
while and was paying my own way.  I didn't tolerate BS from college
professors and they sensed that.  Fortunately, the last 2 1/2 years I
attended the University of Arkansas at Little Rock, an adult oriented
commuter school with a much higher than normal average student body age.  My
oldest son is attending there now, working on a second undergrad degree in
Construction Management since his first degree in partying at the U of A
Fayetteville hasn't yielded too many job offers.

I love teaching but I doubt I'd last two days in the public school
environment.  The first time little Johnny's Dad came to complain about
something I'd rip his head off as well.  My hat goes off to anyone to can
survive those conditions.  Both of my sons attended Catholic Boys high
schools where parental input and interference was greeted by throwing your
little precious out.  Frankly, I liked that - spared me listening to a lot
of whining.

Brad