[Rhodes22-list] Alice Weisz's Main Sail a reply

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Fri Aug 24 08:28:57 EDT 2007

Alice:

Your description of the tear helps us make recommendations.  However, a
picture still would be helpful.  Furthermore, if you learn how to post a
picture, you will learn a new skill.  Even Commodore Spitzer is occasionally
successful in posting pictures.

I do not know why insurance would pay for a tear at that location.  It is a
spot where tears naturally occur.  Sails on sailboats do of their own
volition tear.  However, you may a specific insurance that would include
such events.

Sails tear all the time.  Sometimes they have to be replaced that is why
occasionally on this list you read about people getting new sails from Stan.
However, older damaged sails can often be made serviceable with needle and
thread.

I would recommend an immediate fix.  Any tear or defect is likely to get
worse.  If you are limited by budget, then I would recommend fixing it
yourself or getting some local person with moderate repair skills to fix it.
I think from your description and without seeing a picture of the actual
tear that it can be fixed with sail repair tape and a needle and thread.  It
should be repairable in place on the boat without taking down the mast.

We understand that not everybody who sails has the skills to make such
repairs.  We also understand that not all have trailers and the mast hoist
system.  Often as Alan pointed out earlier this year, people get older and
have to have it done for them.  I am guessing that money must be a factor in
your waiting to fix the problem.  We have many on this list who would drive
an hour or so to help out.  Where are you located?

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
Sailing on Rummy’s private impoundment of the Savannah River, Lake Hartwell.