[Rhodes22-list] Buying & Outfitting a Rhodes

Arthur H. Czerwonky czerwonky at earthlink.net
Sat Aug 25 08:05:39 EDT 2007

Caesar,

Your enthusiasm is a spark for the veteran list sages.  I think you should revisit the bulkhead compass question - Brad will tell you in a heartbeat about the value of a quick-scan in the airplane cockpit. I'm not sure how Stan would deliver the boat (referring to the probable mounting location) if you opted to install it later.  I suspect it would be as mine,  a double bulkhead - an outer bulkhead, then the inner liner.  You will get a fine professional installation on this important instrument, sealed watertight, if done at the plant, while retrofiting it yourself will be tedious and difficult at best.  Any primary fixtures you can get at the plant will be an investment well made.  I can't remember if you are contemplating depth gauge, like thru-hull to a read-out.  If so you will wisely have this installed by Stan's crew.  See the sense in this peace of mind?

Re the Boom Room, Stan's BR is the one I designed and make for him as the approved prototype. I'd frankly put it up against any I have ever seen.  It is simple, durable, and easy to install/break down.  Now in it's sixth design generation, it is a well polished rig.  I can't imagine the costs/efforts for anyone to replicate that learning curve.  Most important priority, and the reason I have done them, is cost.  The BR seemed to too many an unachievable luxury.  Fie on that!They need to be available, dependable, and affordable to our skippers.

The top is for me my bimini.  My FIL, at 91, has had more than enough skin cancers removed to make UV protection imperative.  I am seeing that there are an abundance of Rhoady's that savor the weekend and longer overnights on the boat.  Why not enjoy them to the fullest?

I am willing to install at the plant if preferred, so a boat can go out the door completely fitted.  Call me at 404 295-7777 and I can hit the fine points important or a curiosity to you.  You will find it's not tricky at all.

Have a nice weekend,

Art