[Rhodes22-list] Power "Cables for Motor

Jim Connolly jbconnolly at comcast.net
Sun Aug 26 10:23:13 EDT 2007

My boat is an '85.  I had Stan do this for me on recycle.

Start from a gray HDPE block glued to hull on port side of laz near motor.
Cables go fwd and up to gap under seat, then forward under the port cockpit
seat to the back of the cabin.  There is a space there where the molds meet.
Enter the cabin via that space then down betweein the cabin mold and liner
mold to the space under the port side settee.  Fowrard under the settee to
the void between the forward flotation foam and the aft v-berth bulkhead,
where my battery and water tank reside.

Some folks have the (or one of the ) battery(ies) under the lifting step
further aft, or under the settee.  This would likely be a bit easier.

Fishing the wire from the cockpit to the underside of the settee is likely
the hardest part.  You might need to drill a small hole in the bulkhead at
the water tank if you don't have one.

Make sure that the wire is sized to carry the load you need (i.e. motor
starting current) without an unacceptable voltage drop that might damage the
motor or overheat the wires.  That length of wire represents a lot of places
that could overheat or be chafed and damaged.  Wire must be properly secured
to protect it.

I don't recall if you are buying a recycle.  If you are, my $0.02, have the
pros do it.

Good luck.

Jim Connolly
s/v Inisheer