[Rhodes22-list] katrina anniversary (political) reply to y2k

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Tue Aug 28 06:45:26 EDT 2007

John,

You hit on a very salient point, "the foolishness of the people".  If you
live below seal level and in the path of a hurricane that is CAT 5 at sea,
you damn sure ought to be making plans to "get the hell outta Dodge".  If
you choose to stay, a foolish decision, you should at least have some
emergency provisions.  NOLA had an evacuation plan and the means to
implement it but chose not to.  After the first attack on 9/11, the local
first responders, NYC firemen and police, rushed to the scene.  In NOLA
during Katrina, over a third of the police force went AWOL and many of the
rest participated along side the citizens in the looting.  While the Mayor
and the Governor made their very public pleas for the Feds to do something,
having already ignored the President's warnings some 72 hours earlier, the
Coast Guard, Navy, Marines, Airforce, and National Guard were all over the
place.  Perhaps they couldn't see them from their 'bunker'.  Had the press
not been so busy selling soap at the SuperDome they might have noticed that
the National Guard had their headquarters just a few yards away on the 4th
floor of the parking garage.  What is very amazing to me is the response by
private companies before and  after Katrina.  WalMart weather forecasters
predicted a week in advance what was the likely outcome from Katrina and
stationed water and emergency provisions closer to the coast.  Home Depot
did the same thing with generators and emergency building supplies.  My
employer set up the first working telecommunications infrastructure in NOLA
by studying satellite photos of the damage to our existing system and
helicoptering a generator and repairmen to the rooftop of a building.  We
then distributed radios to police and firefighters.  As long as we're
bragging, we were the first resume flights to the area as well.  There were
lots of heroes. I can't speak for NOLA but I listened to dozens of stories
from  MS Coast residents about how the Red Cross and Salvation Army were
first on the scene.  They deserve our financial support.

The governments at every level were found wanting during Katrina at NOLA but
I think a lot of lessons were learned.  The Army CORPS accepted
responsibility for the failure of the levee system. Given the corruptness
the contracting arraignment with the Levee Boards it is amazing the system
lasted as long as it did.  I think the only rational long term response is
to recognize that some forces of nature are greater than man and move to
higher ground.

Brad