[Rhodes22-list] Soundproofing

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 10:02:46 EDT 2007

Art,

That was the advice given by several on the Bo list - spend money on a Bose
ANR  headset versus insulation (I have Dave Clarks).  Beech originally used
a product much like auto undercoat on the inside of the belly panels.  The
stuff gets soft and turns to goo after decades of oil, hydraulic fluid,
etc.  accumulation.  I just spent three days cleaning the interior belly
skins down to bare aluminum. The good news is that there has been no
corrosion spotted.  I'm considering a product called SoundEx, made here
locally, that is supposed to be really good but expensive. As you know,
airplanes are worse than boats about there being too many ways to spend
money.  Weight is a huge issue with 51V since she's gained weight over the
years and useful load is limited.  I've established a max weight gain of
five pounds for insulation which makes the choices even narrower (read more
expensive).

BTW, mine came with a DVD in the avionics stack courtesy of the previous
owner.  Maybe I should just turn up the volume and forget about it!

Brad