[Rhodes22-list] Katrina - Two Years After

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Aug 29 21:28:12 EDT 2007

Well, the anniversary has come and gone.  We celebrated yesterday by turning
on the new wiring in our shop building and spent today washing equipment.
The Prez was in town, once again, and nothing gets done when he's around -
major PITA just dealing with the traffic.  Here is a photo from the Sun
Herald that caught my attention.  Just to the right of the second palm tree
is a structure that is a lift station.  Our home for the first four months
was a camper just behind that structure.  We stole water at night for a week
until a Gulfport city worker suggested we hook our water hose to the outlet
and let him "take the heat". I fast-talked our way past the National Guard
checkpoint just to get that spot. The city ran us and all the other
contractors out of Jones Park, but before we could even have a decent "pity
party" for ourselves, they ran the Mexicans out of town.  And you wonder why
the rebuilding of the coast is so slow.

Brad