[Rhodes22-list] Newbie

Tom Dorsey Tom at demaximis.com
Thu Aug 30 08:38:12 EDT 2007

Thanks, Slim (and to all who joined in the welcome). :)

Its great to know there are so many dedicated R22 sailors available.
I'm still honing the list of needs/wants (tempered by available funds).

Initially I plan to do mostly day sailing with perhaps some weekends.
The R22 seemed a perfect choice from what I have seen.  I've always
wanted to sail but only recently felt that it would be a viable
activity.  My wife isn't too fond of the water but we did a day sail
trip from St. John and she enjoyed it enough to consider a boat.  The
boat I select will take her needs into account  (roomy cabin, enclosed
head, etc.) while allowing me to sail single handed most of the time.  I
was surprised how well the R22 fit my needs (with the right options).

At my age, I want to make sure its set-up so that I can sail
comfortably without needing the energy levels that aren't what they used
to be.

Hoping to trailer to various locations as my skill level progresses.

Work:   I handle administrative functions for a few small companies and
work with the financial side of environmental remediation projects.
Kids:  My daughter just started her second year of law school.  My son
is a senior studying computer information systems/network
administration.
1099:  Not looking at a new R22 yet

The name is as close as I get to being a musician.

I look forward to meeting Wally - its great to know there is someone
locally familiar with R22.

Tom

R. Thomas Dorsey
450 Montbrook Lane
Knoxville, TN 37919-2705
865-691-5052
865-691-9835 (fax)

>>> stevenalm at gmail.com 8/30/2007 3:48 AM >>>
Welcome, Tom.

Of course we all think you've made a great choice in the R22.  It's a
great
boat for a starter because it's very forgiving of mistakes yet
responsive to
more advanced handling.  And you've come to the right place if you need
any
advice about this boat.  We have many very expert sailors, repairmen,
fixerupers, problem-solvers (tho I'm not any of those) who can help you
on
your journey into becoming an expert yourself.

Feel free to ask any questions.  And questions do not have to be
limited to
the R22.  If you have any questions or comments regarding President
Bush,
Katrina, the fires in Greece, your pets, the national debt or the price
of
tea in China, you are welcome to post them.  I'm not kidding, we have
an
expert on China here on the list.

Have you narrowed down your list of wants and needs for your boat?  How
will
you be using the boat?  Day sailing?  Overnight?  Weekending?
Trailering?
X-sailing?  What types of food and beverages to you intend to consume
on the
boat?

Tell us about yourself.  What do you do for a living?  Wife, kids?  How
much
money do you make?  Please submit your 1099 for our perusal.  (joking)
With
the name Tommy Dorsey, I gotta ask if you're a musician.

You're close to Wally.  Try to hook up with him--he's one of our
finest.

Slim