[Rhodes22-list] Solar Mooring Light & Mast Crane

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Aug 30 12:13:44 EDT 2007

David,

Nice light!!  I wonder if it is worth the trouble to make a bracket to
locate the light higher up the mast, maybe even at the top!  Zero maint is
really good for stuff high on the mast and it might improve the visibility.
Hmm, next time I have occasion to work on the top of the mast ...

BTW, since my '81 and I were built long before mast cranes were available
for the R22, I always wondered whether they were worth the cost.  Obviously
their mounting makes a great device to secure additional forward hardware!

A couple of weeks ago, I went over to Lou Rosenberg's "Miracles on Flatbush
Ave." to help ready his rebuilt '81 R22 for launch (this Saturday!!!)  He
had purchased a crane system from Stan and we raised the mast using the
crane.  There was no effort involved to lift the structures, no "putting
your backs into it" - all went very well.  My only issue with the system was
that I was constantly correcting for sideways mast movement while raising
and concerned with the stresses applied to the tabernacle.  Just to be
complete, I also showed Lou how to drop and raise the mast the old way (just
the two of us were able to easily accomplish the task in minutes.)  While it
may require slightly more strength or effort to raise "by hand" from the bow
pulpit (the way I have done it for 26 years), I felt that it was
mechanically safer and better controlled than using the crane.  Am I missing
something with the crane system?

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY