[Rhodes22-list] Mast Crane Questions

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Thu Aug 30 13:18:43 EDT 2007

Rummy,

Lou had printed instructions that appeared to have been downloaded from the
list.  I believe that they had originally been provided by Slim:
http://www.rhodes22.org/pipermail/rhodes22-list/2005-April/022314.html
We followed them and as the mast is raised, I fail to see what prevents
sideways movement once the mast leaves the crutch.  I have stepped my mast
many times while on the water and am very concerned about lateral movement.
I have always felt comfortable while raising the mast from the bow since I
maintained strong contact with the mast at all times.  When raising the mast
from the stern using the crane system, the mast was out of reach for much of
the time, too high to reach from the cockpit and to far astern to safely
reach from the deck while operating the crane.  None of the shrouds were
really tight enough to provide lateral restraint until it was nearly
vertical and then, it was only the uppers.  When raised the old way, the
uppers and forward lowers are never removed, providing immediate support of
the mast when vertical (except for falling forward until the aft lowers are
connected.)  What did we do wrong?

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)
Nissequogue River, NY