[Rhodes22-list] Remote Controls for the Tohatsu

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 5 15:50:39 EST 2007

Hi, Art,

I'm glad that the pix enlightened a bit.

If you remember, the my R-22 already had an Edson
steering pedestal & wheel installed...I do not know
where the controls were, but I'd guess they were on
the engine as is standard.

My engine was a traditional T 9.8 with controls on the
engine. A friend of mine who  is a sailboat dealer in
NC did the rigging...

I do not know what brand of cables he used but I
emailed him & will let you know as soon as I hear
back.

Thee is no problem whatsoever with any binding of
either the throttle or shift controls....the shift
requires a bit more effort..but is not a
problem....and it keeps it from being knocked out of
gear by mistake.

He used a Edson shift asseembly, a cable kit (either
5RC or SRC...can't tell), two 13' cables, a cord
assembly, and a kill switch. The ignition & the kill
switch are installed in the starboard cubby in the
cockpit. He had quite a bit of crawling around to get
it all to work....

I'm not sure of how long it took...he cut me some
slack on the labor ....He basically had to make it up
as he went along. Dave is eccentric (!)...but
excellent & i knew if he couldn't so it, it couldn't
be done...I believe your estimate was for @5 or so
hours...that does not seem unreasonable if you are
going to go with cockpit controls & not have to feed
them inside a pedestal...

Let me know if there is anything I can help with.

You are always welcome to come see it...

elle

--- "Arthur H. Czerwonky" <czerwonky at earthlink.net>