[Rhodes22-list] Humor, political, Canadian style

Steven Alm stevenalm at gmail.com
Fri Dec 7 16:00:11 EST 2007

Robert,

The link you sent was a dead end but I believe you have it right.  I was
reading some of the comments after the article that Brad sent and one person
wrote that a router doesn't store any addresses, it just routes them.  Once
they log out it's gone.  He compared it to asking your mailbox who sent the
last letter.  This, however doesn't make me any less uncomfortable.

One issue is that I do indeed have an open WiFi at my home.  First, I don't
even know how to set it up with a password and second, I'd rather not have
to put in a password every time I go online.  My wife would also see that as
extra hassle.  And why should I worry anyway?  All anyone would find on my
computer is a sh*t load of music and a lot of pictures of boats, email to
you guys, and flight itinerary for my next trip.  The only thing even close
to being confidential is my folder where I keep info on my travel expenses
and other deductions.  Hardly worth anything to anybody but me.  I do a
little online banking and some bill paying but that's all encrypted and
password-protected.  I think the worst they could do would be to transfer
money from my savings to my checking.  I check with the bank periodically
and they have reported no Tomfoolery.  My apologies to anyone named Tom and
no implications are implied.

The technology is bit over my head but since I use a router, doesn't that
keep me safe?  I have, on occasion, snagged some one's private WiFi signal
so I could get on line but it never took me to their computer.  Then again,
I'm no hacker and wouldn't know where to begin.

Just the same, how do you change your Mac address?

Slim