[Rhodes22-list] Humor, political, Canadian style

Herb Parsons hparsons at parsonsys.com
Fri Dec 7 17:18:40 EST 2007

OK, don't want to be one of those "the sky is falling types", and
frankly the email below sort of got off topic a bit, but here goes:

If you set up encryption on your WiFi at home, you don't have to deal
with the "hassle" of remembering the password. Most computers are (and
those few that aren't can be) set to "remember" your password for any
given SSID. I know that's probably Greek (maybe "geek"?) to you, but it
basically means you won't have to remember the password just to use your
WiFi.

I'm going to precede this by saying most of the warnings I'm about to
give are "bad case" scenarios - definitely not "worst case", but they're
not likely to happen. The number of people with all the right
ingredients - skill to use your open system, desire to use your open
system, and proximity to use your open system - is really probably
pretty small; but then, do you REALLY want to take that chance?

Your cavailer attitude is because you don't completely understand the
issue. First of all, you give a little away when you say "I do a little
online banking". Your mistaken if you think that the worst they could do
would be to transfer money from one account to another. With your bank
information, they can theoretically get enough  to transfer money from
your account to any account they want. It wouldn't be easy, but it could
be done.

There are other issues though? Got any enemies? Shoot, you really don't
even need enemies, just someone out to have a little "fun" could do it.
Grab your system, put a few pics of naked little girls on it, then call
in an annonymous tip to the authorities. That's not NEARLY as hard as
the one listed above.

Don't think of it only in the context of them being able to look at (and
use) the contents of your computer, think of as them being able to watch
everything you do on your computer, and even "become you" on it.

Do you REALLY want that type of exposure?

BTW, being behind a router doesn't protect you from them. They're
attaching to your wireless at the same point you are, on the same side
of your router.

Securing the wireless isn't really hard to do. This site might help you
http://www.jiwire.com/wi-fi-security-home-networks-1.htm (I linked to
the pertinent part, but it wouldn't be a bad idea to read the whole thing).