[Rhodes22-list] Re plying to Amazing schizophrenic post -political-religious et. al.

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Thu Dec 13 18:06:56 EST 2007

Tootle wrote:
> Then he continues with the politically correct analogy that all religion is
> to be treated the same. He said, "Sorry.  Merry [Birth of Universal
> Forgiveness] to all..."

Wow, Ed, you can get a good rant going on almost
anything I say.  I had no idea that my words were
so seminal in your consciousness.  I am flattered.
The conjunction was obviously better for you than
for me.

The "[BoUF]" was/is merely my way of differentiating
between "Christmas", which has been coopted as a
marketing tool now perceived as essential to our
economy, and the original basis of this celebration.

Should you want to make a point of it, Ed, we could
observe that this, like any other winter ceremonial
occasions since the dawn of history, derives from
the celebration of the winter solstice, the turning
point in the sun's diminution.

> We are currently concluding Jewish holidays.  While Judaism also has its
> very conservative sects practicing tightly controlled religious practices,
> even those sects do not treat women like Wahabi or Al Qaeda types.  Look to
> all the positive contributions to our way of life by those of Jewish
> backgrounds.

So, this is news already?

> Christianity has it jerks, and crazy sects, but more generally preaches
> turning the other cheek, forgiveness of transgressions and charity.  So what
> is wrong with saying 'Christmas' and acknowledging Jesus Christ as a good
> role model?  Study the generally positive side of Christ style leadership
> and openly acknowledge it.

As to saying "Christmas" I have dealt with that
above.  We need to be mindful of the difference
between commercial and spiritual uses of the word.
I also agree that the characteristics attributed
to Jesus are generally positive.

But I do not accept that any politician can wear
the mantle of "Christ style leadership".  As a
leap of faith, that resembles Evil (may he rest
in peace) going over the Snake River, and is as
likely of success in any real world situation.
Machiavelli laid down the basic principles of
political behavior a few hundred years ago.
Aristotle would never survive in D.C.

> Merry Christmas to all…

Thank you for the good wishes, Ed.  May your
tribe increase.  While you are turning the other
cheek, here is an opportunity to reach out with
acceptance:

http://www.islamicvoice.com/Summercamp.htm

/Robert of Maine