[Rhodes22-list] John, fisherman

Robert Skinner robert at squirrelhaven.com
Fri Dec 14 10:02:15 EST 2007

I know what you mean, John.  The Smokies have some of
the best brookies in the country.

I was fishing down Abrams Creek a ways where it runs
out of Cades Cove.  The Wife brought her book.  She
knows how to be quiet company when I'm fishing, and
enjoys the walk - as long as there is a path.  On the
way from one hole to the next, we fetched up on a
couple standing in the path shaking a stick with
sleigh bells on it.  Bear ahead.  I told Barb to go
straight up the hill, quick march, and followed her.

About 150' up the slope, she froze.  Seems the bear
had the same idea, and she was nose to nose with a
stinking, startled, 300 lb black bear.  Next thing,
she was flying down the hill, calling me everything
but a gentleman.  I managed to avoid breaking my fly
rod as I followed on her heels, down to the path.
No point in hanging around.

After we both peed and caught our breath, Barb
announced that her day was over, and she was going
back to the truck.  I figured I better keep her
company, and slow her down, as I had glimpsed the
bear heading back up the creek path ahead of us.
Didn't bother to tell Barb.  Figured she had had
enuf excitement for one day.

As we crossed the bridge into the parking area,
there was a small group of people with a picnic
lunch neatly spread out in front of them.  They
were very quiet, and didn't move or make a sound
I saw the bear about 200' away going thru a
garbage can.  It had crossed the bridge, ignored
the group, and walked by them not 20' away on its
way to a quiet dinner - leaving them as a perfect
study in shock and awe.

Some days, you just can't avoid the bear.

/Robert
john Belanger wrote:

> i had a feeling that when i mentioned nc, i'd get some flack. but to be honest, i can only come up with a one word lame excuse....trout. we were guests of my brother in law at a small cabin in woods. i reverted back to my old flame....fly fishing. the waters there in the mountains of asheville are just too beautifull. clear mountain creeks, mayflies, willing-to-hit-anything trout......i watched trout with my polaroids taking mayflies drifting over a riffle into a hole 3'  from where i was standing, with kids swimming in the same hole only 20' away. i know i dun sinned but i was just plain out'n'out seduced!! been in texas too long. sorry.
>
> Tootle <ekroposki at charter.net> wrote:
>
> John,
>
> So tell us about the Grove Park Inn? So why didn't you bring a bottle of
> Mt. Gay Rum down here. You were about 100 miles from Captain Rummy and Lake
> Hartwell. That is 100 miles by I roads. 60 miles the way the crow flies.
>
> Merry Christmas
>
> Ed K
> Greenville, SC, USA
> "Good eatin' size" is a term used only by those who catch small fish.
> --

> Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile.  Try it now.

Robert Skinner  "Squirrel Haven"
Gorham, Maine         04038-1331
s/v "Little Dipper" & "Edith P."