[Rhodes22-list] Self righting and other stuff.

R22RumRunner at aol.com R22RumRunner at aol.com
Sat Dec 15 20:13:28 EST 2007

Let me jump in on this topic. As being one of the few people that has ever
laid a R22 down in the water, I have first hand experience. This incident
involved a huge amount of alcohol and strong winds. Rum Runner was on her side,
mast in the water and all the crew also in the water. As soon as the sails were
 turned loose and some other details taken care of, the boat righted herself
in  perfect form. After pumping out approximately 75 gallons of water from the
 cabin, she was ready to sail again. The only loses were three rum and cokes
and  one pack of cigarettes. This is absolutely the safest boat you can sail.
The incident Rory mentioned happened with a trailing sea as a boat was
trying to outrun a storm and get into safe harbor. They had just made it inside
the harbor when the boat was slammed hard by high winds and turned turtle. The
mast stuck in the mud and was difficult to remove. If my memory serves me, the
 salvage operation was a botched job which snapped the mast. Nobody was
injured  in this incident and the boat floated high in the water.

Rummy