[Rhodes22-list] getting started/ thanks to all

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 17 01:43:38 EST 2007

as mr. harvey would say, "and now you have the rest of the story". thanks, chris.

Geankoplis <napoli68 at charter.net> wrote:  Roy,
It was around 1980 and the boat was barrowed by one of the brothers of
the kids who taught me to sail in Italy. The boat capsized when a tornado
came through the "pot" on Poplar Island, a sort of lagoon surrounded by
small sand islands. The boat went over when hit and was "pole vaulted"
upside down forcing the mast into the yogurt like mud of the pot.
The kids swam out and over to another boat, spent the night in the cockpit
then swam to Jefferson Island (owned by the Smithsonian) where the used a
radio to call me. I went out on an Oyster work boat. We dove into the
water full of sea nettles and using a couple of needle nosed pliers we undid
all the clevis pins. We were able to reach them without diving. The bolt
on the tabernacle had a wing nut but it was still difficult wiggling the
bolt out. This did take some diving but I was pretty good at it. Probably
took 10 dives to free it. Once it was free I pushed on the boat at the
flair and it rolled back up right like an old walrus. Lots of jelly fish
and fondue hanging from the cabin roof. Grabbed a couple of 5 gallon
buckets and after a short but intense bailing session empted the boat and we
then pulled the mast out of the water and mud with the help of the waterman.
As it turned out one stay and chain plate had pulled out, another was
broken. The mast was bent but this probably happened when the Coast Guard
showed up and tried to right it thinking it was a power boat. We towed the
boat back to Tilgman Island and left it there and transported the motor back
home and to a mechanic. The next weekend we went back with repaired motor,
hosed the boat down and motored back to the pot and anchored on the buoy I
had placed at the capsize site. We then dove and by feel recovered
everything except the lazzerett cover. The poptop was on the bottom along
with the anchor and other stuff. The outside cushions were on the shore and
in the trees. I did have to rebuild a lot of the interior but the boat
served me well for another 25 years. By coincidence, when I advertised the
boat for sail in 1996, as soon as the ad appeared in the Washington post a
guy called and wanted the boat. He said he knew all about the Rhodes and
knew it was built like a tank. "How do you know so much about the strength
of the Rhodes" I asked. Oh, I saw one get hit by a tornado and it was
inverted on its mast and it wasn't damaged. I even saved the two kids and
let them sleep on my boat till they swam away." He bought it that
afternoon.
Chris G