[Rhodes22-list] Motor Won't Start

Todd Tavares sprocket80 at mail.com
Tue Dec 18 21:47:31 EST 2007

 Lee,

Try this website
http://www.iboats.com/Mercury_Starter_Solenoids/dm/session_id.169972231--cart_id.019241459--category_id.271561--list_time.1198024927--view_id.271565
.

It should be an esay fix.  (and a cheap attempt should Rummy's
e-diagnosis be wrong)

BTW --  A solenoid is an electrical switch that uses a low current
circuit to switch/control a high current circuit by electromechanical
means.  You wouldn't want full starting current from the battery to the
starter going through your start button or key switch.

Usually (usually) a bad solenoid fails to energize, but you are hearing
the click, which is probably the solenoid energizing, but could be a
binding starter trying to turn.  Without seeing or hearing the engine, if
a new solenoid does not cure the problem,  possible problems are a bad
connection at the starter, the starter is not getting a good ground
connection or you have a bad starter. Check the connection where the
negative battery cable connects to the engine or ground.  Disconnect the
negative cable from the battery first then check the (+) hot wire the
connection/s at the starter.  Make sure there is no corrosion there or
where the starter bolts to the engine.  Once you eliminate bad
connections a few quick checks with a DC volt meter will narrow the
possibilities. see attachments

Todd T.