[Rhodes22-list] getting started

Ronald Lipton lipton at fnal.gov
Sat Dec 22 12:03:42 EST 2007

Welcome Tom,

  I suspect that Stan would be willing to sell a recycled
boat with a diamondboard. The board is not the stub keel
itself but the retractable centerboard. Buying a new boat for a
diamondboard is like buying a new car for the hubcaps.
There has been some discussion of the benefits of the
diamondboard relative to the old style centerboard on the
list but comparisions are hard.  Most folks think that
it makes a minor difference in performance.

I am confused by your mail - you say that you have given Stan
a deposit but are asking about used boats on the list.  Have
you gone down for a test sail?

The Rhodes is a safe boat, not only because of the flotation and
rigging, but because the sail area and mainsail position are so
adjustable.  This allows you to sail comfortably in a wind that
would keep other boats in the harbor or adjust to unexpected
squalls or incoming fronts if you are out when you really shouldn't
be.

Ron