[Rhodes22-list] Katrina Update

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Sat Feb 3 04:07:40 EST 2007

Brad,

This goes back to the discussion of undocumented workers and that's a thread
by itself.  Briefly, my thoughts on that are that we should adhere to the
law, period.  Change or amend the law as we wish (granted, no easy solution)
but then hold everyone accountable--workers and employers alike.  You break
the law, you go to jail or get deported.  "Guest workers" "work visas" call
'em whatever you want.  Set the quotas at whatever rate we can agree on and
then enforce it.  If EVERYONE had to be accountable, then "illegal" jobs
would be much harder to come by and there would be no motivation for illegal
workers to cross the border.  The wall across Mexico won't work.  They tried
that in China and Berlin and......you know.

I'm trying to make a case for the government putting boots on the ground to
aid its own citizenry.   No, I don't think a natural disaster automatically
qualifies every individual for complete assistance, but what's wrong with
this picture?  We're fighting the war on terror overseas for what?  Isn't it
for the benefit of our citizenry here at home?  What could be more
advantageous to us as a nation?  Should you poor sots down south have to
suffer so we can protect you from the perceived forces abroad?  You would
know, Brad, are those people down there worried about the terrorists or do
they just want a roof over their head?  What if we pulled all the troops
home and assigned them to the gulf coast?  Civil war in Iraq?  Frankly my
dear, I don't give a damn.  If they want to kill each other, why should
Americans die in the crossfire?  For political advantage?  For the oil?  For
Haliburton?  For saving face?        ..... Home is more important.

Slim
P.S. Please don't send me links to 35 long-winded articles that I won't
read.  (Unless it's Molly Ivins,  RIP)