[Rhodes22-list] Flying Pig Aground in Florida Keys

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Wed Feb 7 03:24:37 EST 2007

Sailing vessel Flying Pig went aground in the mid Florida Keys.  See:
http://www.justpickone.org/skip/gallery/

"I sent this to the morgan sailnet list just now...

Please see that list for earlier mails and clarification - I apologize for
not having the time to duplicate that here...

L8R

Skip
Skip Gundlach   to Morgan
 show details  2:29 pm (0 minutes ago)

Please continue the dialogue going, as it's very comforting at the moment
but...

We are ashore, in the care of the Red Cross at the moment.  Aside from the
adrenalin rush and some bruises from being knocked around, we are entirely
fine physically. Mentally we're more than bummed, as you can guess.

Until salvage operations commence, which due to the weather (the main
contributing factor to our blowing off course) won't be until tomorrow
morning at the earliest, we won't know the realities.  At a minimum, since
the boat will be taken to Marathon, we could use some temporary hospitality
there.

There are definitely breaches in the starboard hull but the boat is very
high and dry at the moment, on its side. We don't know what the pounding
which caused a lot of flexing inside may have done to the bulkheads and
tabbing, but the reefer and settee and engine mounts were all moving notably
- not a really good sign. If there is any good news, the water was so
shallow that it never got to the floorboards, even with the very severe
heel, and when I went around shutting the through-hulls, I never got my
hands wet.  So, with any luck, the damage is mostly above the water line,
presumed somewhat simpler to address and less likely to affect the integrity
of the hull.  None the less, it's certain we'll be some months, if ever,
before we are back aboard, our only home, with every possession in the
world, having given away our car the day we left.

At any event, we can still be reached via email, when we have access, which
will persist until tonight, at the Red Cross, and then at the Days Inn in
KWW, we expect, where we'll be for the next three days.  After that, we're
truly homeless (does being in the RC or a Days Inn relieve us from
homelessness?  The boat was our entire world - our home and every single
possession)...

In any case, thank you for your prayers and thoughts. We're physically well,
and mental basket cases, though we are managing to get things done.  More as
we know more.  Feel free to pass this around to other lists on which we
participate, as you may be aware if you're on them, too, from having seen
our posts in those.  Right now we're a bit busy to do that ourselves...

L8R

Love from Skip and Lydia, Homeless...
--
Morgan 461 #2
SV Flying Pig   KI4MPC
flyingpiglog at googlegroups.com

away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore.
Dream. Discover."   - Mark Twain