[Rhodes22-list] Tongue Weight

Rob Lowe rlowe at vt.edu
Wed Feb 7 10:04:03 EST 2007

Bill,
As Ed has suggested, the tongue weight will depend on how you have your boat
loaded and how old your boat is.  The most important thing is to HAVE some
tongue weight.  I've seen things towed with little or no tongue weight just
waiting to pop off.  But you will know when you hook your boat to your
vehicle if you have weight on the tongue or not.  Just learn to load your
boat the same way every time.  My motor and gas tanks come off the boat and
go into my truck.  Some people leave theirs on the boat but when I tried
that, I couldn't get enough weight on the tongue.  Really, what I've found
to be the key is correctly loading the boat on the trailer.  Take note of
where the bow stripe lines up the bow stop on the trailer.  Note where the
boat sits on the bunks and where the keel lines up with the trailer.
Duplicated those positions each time and you won't have any problems.  I
towed my boat from St. Louis to SW Virginia when I bought it.  Wasn't quite
enough tongue weight as I could only go about 60 without the trailer
swaying.  So I drove the whole way at 60.  Can't really adjust the boat on
the trailer on the highway. - rob