[Rhodes22-list] Carlin and Sis - questioned

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 7 11:35:50 EST 2007

thanks for that. best blurb inside a valentine card i've ever read. passed it on to my wife and daughter. john b
oardmentsSlim <stevenalm at comcast.net> wrote:  What part of the message do you disagree with?

I disagree with most of it and I don't care who wrote it. Life's just not
that crappy. At least not for me. (OK, maybe I do drink and smoke too much
but I'm working on that.) Read it again and tell me that describes you in
your world. If it does then you really do need to get to church--or
something.

Here's something more helpful. I'm not a Buddhist but the words of the Dali
Lama always resonate for me. And this really is by the Dali Lama but go
ahead and spend your time looking it up if you need to:

INSTRUCTIONS FOR LIFE

1.  Take into account that great love and great achievements involve great
risk.
2.  When you lose, don't lose the lesson.
3.  Follow the three R¹s:

Respect for self
Respect for others and
Responsibility for all your actions.

4.  Remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke
of luck.
5.  Learn the rules so you know how to break them properly.
6.  Don't let a little dispute injure a great friendship.
7.  When you realize you've made a mistake, take immediate steps to correct
it.
8.  Spend some time alone every day.
9.  Open your arms to change, but don't let go of your values.
10. Remember that silence is sometimes the best answer.
11. Live a good, honorable life. Then when you get older and think back,
you'll be able to enjoy it a second time.
12. A loving atmosphere in your home is the foundation for your life.
13. In disagreements with loved ones deal only with the current situation.
Don't bring up the past.
14. Share your knowledge. It's a way to achieve immortality.
15. Be gentle with the earth.
16. Once a year, go someplace you've never been before.
17. Remember that the best relationship is one in which your love for each
other exceeds your need for each other.
18. Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.
19. Approach love and cooking with reckless abandon.