[Rhodes22-list] Adobe PDF to become open standard (Info, ~R22)

Michael D. Weisner mweisner at ebsmed.com
Tue Feb 13 13:44:14 EST 2007

Since we use the pdf file format (at least Bill Wickman does), I thought that this might be of interest to those on the list, even thought it has little to do with the R22.  If the standard is adopted, we might find more open source versions of the "pdf writer" available, definitely a good thing.

Mike
s/v Shanghai'd Summer ('81)

See http://www.gcn.com/print/26_03/43056-1.html

Adobe submits PDF to be an open standard

Adobe Systems Inc. has decided to make its Portable Document Format an open standard. The company has submitted PDF to the International Organization for Standardization.

Large organizations, including government agencies, increasingly are using open standards in their IT systems, said Sarah Rosenbaum, director of product management for Adobe. PDF, a multiplatform format, is widely used across government to digitize print documents and build electronic forms. As such, the company is responding to the demand for a vendor-neutral standard.

Although Adobe has long published the specifications that allow third-party vendors to write their own PDF readers and writers, Adobe now is "submitting the ownership [of] that specification to a standards body," Rosenbaum said.