[Rhodes22-list] Stan's 27 foot hull design -- need Captain Crawford!

stan stan at rhodes22.com
Thu Feb 15 12:55:44 EST 2007

Ed,

You know I love you even if I am from the foreign country of Brooklyn but
let me correct a few innocent incorrect issues:

I own this design exclusively and outright.  I commissioned and paid Haydn
Gozzard to design the hull as close as reasonable to capture the sailing
characteristics of the Rhodes 22   The initial work was done in my factory
on Long Island.  I designed the deck which is merely a stretched out version
of the 22 and the cockpit area is identical to the 22.

The plugs were built in Canada by Gozzard at a tiny facility covered by
snow.

A mold was made of the deck and of a deck liner and pop top hatch, all of
which I schlepped to NC.  I also picked up the first hull part made from the
hull mold but never got back to pick up the hull mold.

Gozzard liked the way the deck looked but felt the freeboard I had asked for
was too much and we were debating whether we should go for a lower shape.
He is racing minded and I was thinking of the ladies in my research who said
they must have a hot water shower.  The project ended in the deep freeze due
to time and money and Rhodes 22 business needs considerations and has
languished in our NC back building .

Gozzard came by one day and showed me pictures of a sailing trawler he built
with his own deck design.   (I would never have said his deck design was
"s...)  He had cut down the hull freeboard and I thought it an interesting
idea and that maybe GB would distribute them in the US.  Later he decided to
sell direct and while I might have a legal case since he is using my hull
mold, I am not inclined to give him a hard time.  If his name was to turn
out to have value we can legally say the boat was designed by him.

And yes, our 27 would have IMF and may be able to use our current dies.  It
would make for a proportionally smaller main but we test sailed the boat
using a Rhodes 22 set up and it flew.

ss