[Rhodes22-list] Bottom Paint

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Thu Feb 15 16:07:38 EST 2007

Art,

To raise the boat any higher would require taller jacks.  But if you use
Bill's suggestion of pulling the trailer out from under the boat, you'd have
more room for the centerboard to drop down lower but you'd still need higher
jacks to drop it all the way.  Or I suppose you could dig a little trench in
the ground.  I confess I've never painted the entire board for this reason.
I've only painted a few inches of the leading edge.  One of these years when
I'm feeling particularly ambitious, I'll open up the centerboard cap inside
the cabin and pull the whole thing out from inside, paint it, replace the
line and maintenize as needed.  But if it ain't broke, I probably won't fix
it.

Bill,

Until you mentioned it a couple years ago, I didn't know there were jacks
with the tubes open at the bottom and never would have thought to ask. Mine
are a little tedious to crank up but I use a length of pipe for more
leverage, viewable in one of the pics I posted.  I feel very safe with the
trailer still under the boat but yes, chaining the jacks together is more
secure.

Slim