[Rhodes22-list] 27 foot crusiers (my thoughts)

Dan B danbford at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 14:32:38 EST 2007

I'd like to ad some thoughts as well, or maybe thought starters.

I'm one of the guys that has frequently goaded Stan (and Elton too) about a larger Rhodes.  So I am part of the market for this boat. IMHO, one has to go to a current 28ft-30ft boat to get the cockpit accommodation's of a Rhodes 22 and an interior that doesn't seem inferior to what we have in our 22 footers. Certainly the below deck accommodations of the new 25-27ft offerings from the big guys seem cheap and spartan compared to our Rhodes.

So, if the 27 gets to keep the cockpit as is, and Stan can work his magic on the interior, as he has in the past, this boat may very well cannibalize potential buyers of 30-32 foot boats.  After all, the savings do go beyond just the price of the boat, lines, dock fees, winter storage, etc.  A boat that might sell for $60 something that can do the job of one going for 90 or more, will very likely be able to sell itself.

For this to be a success, hard questions need to be asked, and answered; due diligence needs to be applied. Enthusiasm needs to be spread, and brainstorming needs to be encouraged, so that the best ideas get cost effectively incorporated... just like in the Rhodes 22.

Dan B