[Rhodes22-list] Harken Lazy Jack

Joseph Hadzima josef508 at yahoo.com
Thu Feb 15 16:45:37 EST 2007

I've seen some other cool sail systems, some with sail
covers so you only need to zip it closed.  Several replace
the slot in the main with a track system so even a kid
could hoist the main, and it drops into right into the sail
cover.

A BIG advantage of the IMF (I believe) is the unlimited
reef points.  Another is that is remains protected in the
mast during transport.

I've only heard one mild complaint that the IMF mast is
thicker, and thus hinders pointing performance a little,
but like Stan says there are trade-offs ... unlimited easy
to set reef points, or slightly better pointing with the
possibility you'd need to bring down the main completely
because you couldn't depower enough.

And I only had a minor problem with lazy Jacks where one of
the lines got wrapped around part of the sail, and we had
to lower and raise it again.  But this was aboard a 65 foot
Schooner with gaft.  So it was a little more trouble than
if it was a Rhodes with lazy jacks :-)

Speaking of the A28 video ... I like the piston powered
Hoyt Jib boom for down wind sailing .. very nice feature.
Notice it's a working Jib and NOT 175 gennoa!