[Rhodes22-list] Marina Musings, or The winter equivalent of watching grass grow..

elle watermusic38 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 17 14:49:32 EST 2007

...is watching the ice on the creek melt. The sun's
angle highlights the ice's edge, but it is a moving
target; I look away & there is a wavelet where there
had been a ridge a few moments before.

  The churning water from the bubblers makes the boats
dance, different moves from their bucking days earlier
this week when the winds were the moving force. Some
rock smoothly, some furiously hobby horse; maybe 'tis
their location in relation to the bubbler.Who cares;
just watching makes me seasick. 'Tis a waterborne
'Dancing with the Stars," where they are all Jerry
Springer.

  The store manager will be back part time next week,
so I'll be back to working my original schedule. I
cleaned & dusted & swept for a welcome back, noticing
the high water marks from the recent storms we left on
the door jambs as one would measure their children's
growth: Isabel, '03, 34", Ernesto, '06, 28". High
tides are the children of this oyster house. Actually,
we should have six marks for Ernesto: it flooded each
high tide for three days.

I sit here & read 'da list' & and sort paper, readying
the spring work lists for launchings, bottom
jobs...HAVE Y'ALL PRICED BOTTOM PAINT? ,look over the
creek (down here if it looks like a river they call it
a creek), always thinking:IT WON'T BE LONG UNTIL MY
RED BOAT IS HERE.

The temps are on the way down again, and the cycle
begins anew: freeze tonight, thaw tomorrow, then
freeze, thaw...March, April....Sept,....Nov...freeze,
thaw....

It's here! Your new message!