[Rhodes22-list] Retracting IMF

Slim stevenalm at comcast.net
Mon Feb 19 02:21:31 EST 2007

Just Plain Bill, et al,

Right--lengthening the sail is never a problem and I, too try to put up less
sail than I need at first and add more later if I want.  But sometimes I
over estimate how much to use and other times the wind picks up after I'm
out there, so shortening the main in the heat of battle is something I want
to get better at.  It's especially tricky if I'm single-handing.  And, like
you have said, even with others onboard I'm still single-handing, although
someone to take the helm and hold our course is a big help and not too hard
even for a novice.  I can always heave to in order to do anything but I'd
like to get better at reefing quickly while still under way.  Thanks for the
tip on moving the boom car before I haul in the reefing line.  I think
that'll help.

Slim