[Rhodes22-list] Single handed over 25 feet--Hunter27

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Tue Feb 20 17:54:03 EST 2007

Lee,

Good comments.  I completely agree with you re economies of scale for
production boats like the Hunter.  But I’m not sure those economies are  passed on
to the buyers, in which case the economies are moot to Hunter  owners.  Stan’s
describing a $60K boat, you point out the Hunter comes in  around $100K, if
there are economies the owner isn’t seeing them.  Also,  some of the reviews of
Hunter boats are mixed regarding quality.  For  example, when we were shopping
around for a boat I checked out a 22' ( as I  recall) Hunter we’d seen at the
Annapolis boat show.  Turns out it had been  out for at least 3 years, and
from year 1 owners complained about a leak where  the mast passed through the
cabin top - 3 years later they were still  complaining.  Their product did not
improve and the problem was not fixed,  it turned me off.  The Hunter appeared
to me to be a production boat, where  if you bought the boat you bought the
problems. The Rhodes (Gen Boats) product  got uniformly excellent reviews when
it came to quality and workmanship - that  mattered to me.  Surely there’s an
unhappy R22 customer somewhere - but  I've never found him/her.  Maybe Stan
supports unhappy owners with the one  fringe benefit he offers Gen Boats
employees - free burial at sea.

Also, re economies of scale: I think Gen Boats producing 2 models will  allow
it to introduce some economies of scale.

I suspect the real difference between the Hunter and R27 will be what  people
want to do with it.  If they want something sleek, looks-fast, with  instant
name recognition they’ll go for the Hunter.  But if they are  interested in
trailering, cruising, day sailing, and gunkholing, shallow water  capabilities,
and into technical amenities, they’ll go for the R27.  Of  course, if the R27
is as fast as Stan reports and it starts winning races, all  of the above will
change.

As for spiffing up the website, I recommend we start with the R22  owners
website.  What we have is good, and the Email list is great, but -  as examples -
wouldn’t it be great to link the narrative and pictures from  Chris’s cruise
and Bill’s cruise to the site?  How about pictures of owners  boats (check
the Montgomery site to see what’s possible)?  Dan’s boat with  the fall foliage
- fantastic.  Conversely, the link to the RAC Planjam on  the home page is
for 2004 - the info is dated and suggests the owners really  haven’t done much
in the interim.  So perhaps the .org site would be a  place to start.

The tradeoff may be that other sites may or may not look better but R22
owners are better looking.

Dave
<BR><BR><BR>**************************************<BR> Check out free AOL at
http://free.aol.com/thenewaol/index.adp.  Most comprehensive set of free
safety and security tools, millions of free high-quality videos from across the
web, free AOL Mail and much more.