[Rhodes22-list] Environment and trained squirrels

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Fri Feb 23 22:18:11 EST 2007

Ed,

Not to worry, I haven't gone off the deep end, I just try and save energy
where it is convenient.  Curly bulbs seems like a good place to start.  I
burn more hydrocarbons in a month of flying than most people do in a
lifetime and can save bundles of fuel just by planning a good decent and
keeping the speed up to the final approach fix.  Our style of flying would
scare the shit out of passengers but it works for us.  SouthWest probably
does it best in the pax market, they kinda operate under my old commuter
airline's philosophy, "these people paid for a ride, we're gonna give'em
one!"

Speaking of squirrels, I almost had to go-around two days ago because an
American Barbi-jet thought they hit a rabbit in El Paso.  How could you not
hit a rabbit in ELP?  They breed like, uh rabbits, and there must be 10K
plus on the airport.  My jet turns rabbits into  pelts in about
2.8nanoseconds.  Anyway, the airport maintenance crew almost didn't
exit the
runway before I landed looking for the flattened rabbit.  My First Officer
had way to much fun during the taxi-in giving rabbit sighting reports to
ground control.  I couldn't help but think of the scene from Monty Python's
"Holy Grail" about the attack rabbit.  That may be a better solution for
deer than squirrels.

Brad