[Rhodes22-list] New To The Forum

PaxRvr22 thomas.musick at navy.mil
Sat Feb 24 11:43:55 EST 2007

Jb,
I first decided that I wanted a trailerable that I could sail around the
Patuxent River area of the Chesapeake Bay with an occassional trip to the
Eastern Shore of MD or to Virginia . . . Weekending with the occassional
extended stay.  And then be able to take it to a lake or to the Albarmarle
sound.  I first honed in on the Potter 19.  Small, easily trailerable behind
the current vehicle . . . then I got on one . . . it was at the Annapolis
boat show on its trailer.  The centerboard was very much in the way, and if
you beached it or anchored in shallow water, the thing would be right there
. . . I then got on to a Rhodes . . . well, it was night and day.  I liked
the large cockpit and the cabin was well laid out for three . . . which fits
for me.  The price tag was a little much for a new one . . . I checked out
other boats - Hunter, Catalina, etc., but kept coming back to the Rhodes.
Then using the logic that I was not likely to buy one boat then move up, I
decided to go with the used Rhodes recycled with the new boat gaurantee.  I
like the idea that the boat is refurbished by the original manufacturer and
they stand by the product.  So, that in a nut shell is what brought me to
this decision.  Plus I have met seasoned sailors that don't own Rhodes 22s,
but are know them and attested to the fact that they are a very sound boat.
Tom