[Rhodes22-list] An inconvenient reality.

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 3 21:38:45 EST 2007

Robert,

That is perhaps the most prescient and intelligent response I've read on the
subject!  Malthus gets discredited for his theory but people don't look long
term enough.  I won't live long enough to see my belief in "peak oil"
through, but the Chinese are believers.  Go to the remotest, deepest parts
of Africa where there is a mineral resource - you'll find Chinese.  They
won't attack us directly because as Colin Powell says, they won't jeopardize
their sales to WalMart.  But do they ever compete!  We, and they, have to
wean ourselves off fossil fuels but it will take some time.  We (the US)
actually do give a shit about human rights, they don't.  They keep their
Muslim population under control (my brother-in-law is a petty government
official in one of those provinces and commutes to Beijing to enjoy the
fruits of his capitalistic wife's labor.  Please don't let him know I think
his position is petty) but their means of handling the problem would never
be accepted here.  However, their methods work despite the harshness.  But
for the oil revenues, the current radical strain of Islam that threatens us
would be an interesting curiosity.

Brad