[Rhodes22-list] Rory

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Sun Jan 7 13:08:24 EST 2007

Rory,

This is a follow-up to your posts about a month ago regarding your rudder
down haul.  You had two issues:
- Should the downhaul line be inside or  outside a turning bar
- Could the downhaul line foul the prop.
I offered to see how my boat  was set up, you said you'd be interested.  The
boat was hauled out prior to  the holidays, but I forgot to check the rudder
stop issue so I’ve delayed  getting back to you.

Re fouling the prop, I don't think it can happen on our boat.  The  first
attached pict shows the loosed rudder downhaul line being pulled over to  the
prop housing to  maximum extent allowable with a boathook.  It  can’t be pulled
out far enough, it won’t make it near the prop.  You  can make out the
front/starboard side of the prop housing in the top right of  the pict, clearly it’s
beyond the rudder pull down line.

Things might change if the motor were swiveled so that the prop could cut
back, I didn't check that configuration, but I don't know why you'd ever operate
 that way.  It amounts to putting the tiller hard to starboard and orienting
the motor hard to port, seems like an exercise in contradictions.  We
operate with the motor locked straight ahead, or more commonly with the
tiller/motor linkage in place.

I think the key is the plastic choke stop attached to the  downhaul line at
the top above the tiller, that prevents the line from flowing  back too far.
Also, there is a screw down type of clutch at the back of  the tiller on our
boat that prevents the line from flowing back - but even if it  did there's not
a problem.  Stan's got this covered, I don't think it's a  problem.

I hope this addresses the prop fouling issue.

Re the turning bar for the downhaul line, pict 2 shows our  arrangement.  The
line is outside the rudder stop, see pict 2.  This  has worked well for us,
we have not had the problem you reported.  It  appears to me that the guys that
installed your downhaul line ran it inside the  turning bar rather than
outside.

Dave