[Rhodes22-list] An inconvenient reality.

Geankoplis napoli68 at charter.net
Sun Jan 7 11:41:06 EST 2007

Ah,
	There is the Debating Brad I know.  Well I'll agree on the religious
aspects but it works on both sides as many in the other camp maintain that
somewhere in the bible Jesus wants us all to be rich consumers and if you a
rich consumer than ipso facto he must love you.  Also the whole dominion
over nature and go forth and multiply has its vociferous adherents.  Bummer
about the lead in the 100LL fuel but if it is doing harm to people than why,
morally, is it ok to keep using it? Doesn't more oil consumption strengthen
the radical fundamentalists of the ilk you so fear?

 I still do not agree that the majority of scientists will add 2 + 2 and not
only maintain it is 5 but so will all other scientists.  The only group that
consistently does these things are ones hired by certain big businesses like
the Tobacco industry and oil industry and when their findings are reviewed
by non company scientists from many different countries and affiliations
they poke holes in the conclusions.  Anyone can poke holes in a conclusion I
suppose, but to have 98% of the scientists in basic agreement is far more
powerful to me than the one or two percent that are affiliated with
companies that stand to gain or loose great amounts of money and who
"disputed" the other 98%.  Hey if I'm wrong, and I go without a big car or
other internal combustion toy, then gee, maybe my life wasn't quite as ego
satisfying as it might have been.  On the other hand if you are wrong and do
continue doing what you are doing (you in the sense of all the interest
groups who find financial advantage in not responding to the problem) then
we have millions of people starving, even more natural resource wars, and
social and political upheaval and turmoil.  Me, I'd rather be wrong and not
have some toys than be wrong and kill people.

Chris