[Rhodes22-list] Centerboard well cleaning...

Tootle ekroposki at charter.net
Mon Jan 8 06:30:51 EST 2007

Folks:

	First, Elton does read this forum and gets upset with maritime ignorance.

	Second, I believe that Rummy and Bob Keller have recent experience related
to this matter.

	Third, removing the centerboard cap is a major project.  However, when
using chemicals and paints it is safe and neater.  However, the project can
be accomplished from underneath with the centerboard hanging down.

	Fourth, you do not have to sand off paint.  There are now safe and
efficient marine paint removers.  See this:
http://www.dumondchemicals.com/html/products.htm
I believe that I got this reference from someone on this list, so if the
user sees this, it would be appropriate to add personal testimony.  Also, it
might be a good time to use an epoxy sealer to waterproof the fiberglsss and
gelcoat.

	Fifth, there are specific products on the market to remove marine growth
such as muscles.  Also, plumbers use muriatic acid, also known as
hydrochloric acid in diluted solution.  I have not yet used muriatic acid on
muscles but demonstrated its use on Lake Hartwell red slime.  It worked.
Important to remember that it has to sit for a couple of minutes to have
full effect and needs to be washed off with fresh water.  Also, full safety
gear to protect from acid is in order with full face shield.  Full face
shield can be had at Lowe’s or Home Depot near the sand blasting supplies.
They work when laying on your back under the boat.  Also see:
http://www.auroramarine.com/Aurora-E-Store_New/index.php?include=home.php

Ed K
Greenville, SC, USA
addendum:
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from
religious conviction."  --- Blaise Pascal