[Rhodes22-list] Cost of the war and the nation debt

DCLewis1 at aol.com DCLewis1 at aol.com
Fri Jan 12 01:23:45 EST 2007

Bud,

The reason you haven't felt any pain in funding the war in Iraq and
Afghanistan is not that we could afford it all out of present revenues, rather  it's
that our fearless, peerless, leaders have borrowed it all.  The  national debt
shows that unequivocally.  Be sure to tell your children that  they are going
to have the opportunity to pay for all the present  foolishness.

Given the above, if I understand your post,  you are proposing we  continue
borrowing  - because borrowing is exactly how we've made it this  far - and use
that borrowed money to pay off the national debt.  Seems to  me you don't pay
off a debt with more debt to get out of debt; maybe I've missed  something,
or maybe I've misunderstood your post.

Taming the unbalanced budget syndrome is a big problem - and it's  residual
symptom is the national debt.  It's going to take some pain,  focused choices,
and persistence if either the budget is to be balanced or the  debt reduced.
Clearly, the "new conservative" Republicans couldn't do it,  let's see how the
Dems do.

Dave