[Rhodes22-list] More on global warming.

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 06:01:08 EST 2007

Rummy,

Expect to hear Bush 43 to acknowledge global warming in the coming State of
the Union address.  The rumor mill has it that the current carbon swap
program will be expanded and some type of enhanced carbon tax may be
forthcoming.  Remember that every news organization will repeat the same
mantra: Bush pulled us out of Kyoto.  Not true.  Here is the truth.

 On July 25, 1997, before the Kyoto Protocol was finalized (although it had
been fully negotiated, and a penultimate draft was finished), the U.S.
Senate unanimously passed by a 95–0 vote the Byrd-Hagel Resolution (S. Res.
98),[40] which stated the sense of the Senate was that the United States
should not be a signatory to any protocol that did not include binding
targets and timetables for developing as well as industrialized nations or
"would result in serious harm to the economy of the United States". On
November 12, 1998, Vice President Al Gore symbolically signed the protocol.
Both Gore and Senator Joseph Lieberman indicated that the protocol would not
be acted upon in the Senate until there was participation by the developing
nations.[41] The Clinton Administration never submitted the protocol to the
Senate for ratification.

 Hmm. No Bush Administration rejection there. There is this bit, later on:

 The current President, George W. Bush, has indicated that he does not
intend to submit the treaty for ratification, not because he does not
support the Kyoto principles, but because of the exemption granted to China
(the world's second largest emitter of carbon dioxide[42]). . . . Despite
its refusal to submit the protocol to Congress for ratification, the Bush
Administration has taken some actions towards mitigation of climate change.

Regardless, the current administration is starting to embrace the issue. See
below.

Brad

_______________

  Bush to address global warming in annual speech

By Caren BohanTue Jan 16, 3:27 PM ET

President Bush will outline a policy on global warming next week in his
State of the Union speech but has not dropped his opposition to mandatory
limits on greenhouse-gas emissions, the White House said on Tuesday.

"It's not accurate. It's wrong," White House spokesman Tony Snow said
regarding media reports suggesting that Bush would agree to mandatory
emissions caps in an effort to combat global warming. Such caps could
require energy conservation and pollution curbs.

"If you're talking about enforceable carbon caps, in terms of industry-wide
and nation-wide, we knocked that down. That's not something we're talking
about," Snow said.

Britain's "The Observer" newspaper reported on Sunday that senior Downing
Street officials, who were not named, said Bush was preparing to issue a
changed climate policy during his annual State of the Union speech on
January 23.

U.S. allies such as Britain and Germany have pressed for a new global
agreement on climate change to replace the Kyoto Protocol which expires in
2012. Bush withdrew the United States from the protocol in 2001, saying its
targets for reducing carbon emissions would unfairly hurt the U.S. economy.

"We'll have a State of the Union address in a week and we'll lay out our
policy on global warming," Snow said when asked whether British Prime
Minister Tony Blair had persuaded Bush to agree to tougher action to combat
global warming.

Bush has pushed a series of initiatives aimed at encouraging the development
of alternative energy sources such as hydrogen and ethanol. That theme is
expected to be emphasized in his speech.

Germany is hosting the Group of Eight summit later this year and German
Chancellor Angela Merkel plans to make the fight against climate change a
top issue on the agenda.

Meeting with Merkel at the White House earlier this month, Bush said he was
committed to "promoting new technologies that will promote energy
efficiency, and at the same time do a better job of protecting the world's
environment."

The topic of climate change also came up on Tuesday when Bush met with new
U.N. leader Ban Ki-moon. Ban raised the subject, according to a U.N. source.

"This is a global problem that calls for global leadership," the source
quoted U.N. secretary general as telling Bush. According to the source, Bush
said that those who sign on to protocols like Kyoto need to live by them.

EVOLVING

Bush administration stances on global warming and other environmental issues
appear to have evolved over the last year, starting with the president's
2006 State of the Union address, when he called U.S. addiction to foreign
oil a serious problem that required more spending on new technologies.

After years of skepticism and calls for more research into the causes of
global warming, Bush acknowledged last summer that humans exacerbate the
problem.

His administration also is considering designating polar bears, whose icy
habitat has been melting in recent years, as an endangered species. That
could pressure the government to impose tougher measures to avoid global
warming.

Snow suggested the president was sticking to his emphasis on voluntary steps
to curb emissions.

"The president believes in doing everything in our power to use innovation
and the power of innovation to achieve people's goals of having cleaner
energy and abundant energy," he said.

(Additional reporting by Deborah Zabarenko)