[Rhodes22-list] Found discription of (in regards to flat tax discussions)(political)

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Wed Jan 17 11:40:48 EST 2007

Ed,

I don't usually respond to this crap, but, out of friendship, I'll try
again.

I have never followed the "flat-tax" debate because I know that
ultimately you can't collect the same amount of taxes while everyone
pays less, and you can't engineer "social engineering" out of any
attempt to take money out of one person's pocket and put that money into
another person's pocket.

My question of "How do you define 'flat-tax?'" was not a baiting
question.  I didn't know what people thought they were talking about.
So I asked.

Slim introduced the concept of a "flat-tax" but immediately admitted
that he did not know what he was talking about.

Brad defined "flat-tax", and I think that Brad's definition is the one
most people think of when they discuss the concept without ever asking
for details.

I said that won't work.  It doesn't add.

Brad submitted something from the Wall Street Journal.

BUT THE WALL STREET JOURNAL IS NOT DEFINING "FLAT-TAX" THE SAME WAY BRAD
HAS DEFINED IT!

(Sorry to shout, but sometimes you seem to be hard of hearing.)

The "flat-tax" as it seems to be understood by most people--a simple
unitary national tax with a single rate--is not used anywhere.  "Social
Engineering" always adds complexity as everyone fights to pay less and
get more.

Bill Effros