[Rhodes22-list] Flat Tax Semi-Rant

David Culp dculp at hsbtx.us
Wed Jan 17 13:11:33 EST 2007

Bill,

I think you are right. nothing prevents government from extracting
additional taxes even under a flat system.  My point merely was that
government has not only the power to reduce our personal wealth by the taxes
they collect, but also tremendous power to motivate our personal actions by
using the progressive tax and its system of credits and deductions.
Politicians never like to give up power and I doubt they ever would by going
to a complete flat tax system.

You wanted the definition of a truly flat tax system that applies equally to
everyone.  There may not be one.  The closest thing I could think of was the
tithe in the Old Testament.  My impression was that it was 10% of a person's
harvest annually and everyone gave 10%.  Well if this quote from the
American Standard Bible study group is correct, even that does not qualify
as a truly flat system:

  . . ." Because Israel was a theocracy, the Levitical priests acted as the
civil government. So the Levite's tithe (Leviticus 27:30-33) was a precursor
to today's income tax, as was a second annual tithe required by God to fund
a national festival (Deuteronomy 14:22-29). Smaller taxes were also imposed
on the people by the law (Leviticus 19:9-10; Exodus 23:10-11). So the total
giving required of the Israelites was not 10 percent, but well over 20
percent. All that money was used to operate the nation."

Now we know why our politicians are always referring to the Judeo-Christian
basis of our constitution.

David Culp