[Rhodes22-list] Off Topic - Questions about foreign travel

Wickman, William E WEWickman at spectraenergy.com
Wed Jan 17 14:09:37 EST 2007

I have been on several big ship cruises, and the only thing that I will
add is that the tips are not unsubstantial.  It will add up to several
hundred dollars.  And they like to get it in cash.  The cruise ship
should provide you with guidelines for tipping.  For what you are
paying, they may include tips in the price.  Be sure to check.

Regarding liquor, we took it one step further.  We packed several
bottles of rum and vodka in our luggage before boarding.  If you buy
liquor in the duty free shop on board, or buy it on land and try to
bring it on board, they will confiscate it and return it to you when you
disembark at the end of the cruise. Even if you don't finish your bottle
of wine at dinner (which was rarely in our case) they will save it for
you until the next dinner; you cannot take it back to your cabin.  So,
while you cannot take bottles to your cabin once you are on board, we
have never had any problems bringing it on through our luggage.

Also, be aware that the shore excursions offered by the ship are
substantially more expensive than what you can get on your own.
Everywhere we went, you could get the same or similar excursions through
local vendors when you got off the ship.  There is usually a crowd of
enterprising folks waiting for people as they disembark.  Depending on
how adventurous you are, you can go pot luck with one of the shore
vendors, or make your own reservations before the trip (tours, car
rentals, etc.).

Bill W.