[Rhodes22-list] Newspapers - the answer for slim

john Belanger jhnblngr at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 18 15:17:22 EST 2007

slim
  the comforting parts of newspaper reading are not enough to stand up to the immediacy of  news. the first time you say something to someone about something you read (other than sports scores which are serialized events) and they say something like "oh, haven't you heard the latest", the newspaper loses some ground. i hate to say it but we have to rememvber that the  newspaper business is a business and like a typical business it has to be a successful business model to succeed. what you really need is one of those sliding tv trays for the laptop in the john.

Slim <stevenalm at comcast.net> wrote:
  Brad,

My favorite local rag, The Star Tribune AND the St. Paul Pioneer Press are
both going down in flames. The Strib was just sold in a rushed deal the day
after Christmas to pay for MaClatchy's CEO, Gary Pruitt's capitol gains
taxes. After only a few weeks now both papers are shadows of their former
selves with newsmen running for the door like lemmings. Now would be a good
time to try to lure your favorite Strib columnist, Katherine Kerston to
Memphis. (The only good news.)

Papers across the country are losing readership because more are getting
their news on the web. Or is it more are on the web because papers are
providing less? Note: Minneapolis is the most web-connected city in the US
per capita. I won't read 32 pages online but I will in print. A lot of
folks read themselves to sleep at night. I read myself awake and that
coffee and paper thing has been a mainstay for ever.

Sadly, I no longer feel I'm getting my money's worth from the Strib and I'm
canceling my subscription after...well, after a lifetime since my parents
always got the paper and so have I as an adult received the paper at my
doorstep every day. Now what am I going to do? How am I supposed to get
out of bed with nothing to read with my coffee? How am I supposed to take a
dump without the sports page? Imagine me sitting there on the throne with
my laptop. No, don't. Sorry for that visual. These are life-long habits
and I bummed.

Slim