[Rhodes22-list] Taxes - Timely Article

Bill Effros bill at effros.com
Thu Jan 18 21:06:46 EST 2007

Thanks, Rik,

I've never seen that material before, and it will take me a while to
digest it, after which I will get back to you.

As I understand it, it is a single 23% federal sales tax added to the
sale of every new retail product, coupled with the elimination of all
other federal taxes starting with the sin tax.

Do you know how they plan to handle import tariffs?  If someone starts
importing "used" BMWs can they sell them for a fraction of the price of
new BMWs, or actually used BMWs first sold in this country that carried
a 23% sales tax?

What about people who live near the borders?  Can they shop in Canada
and Mexico to avoid the 23% sales tax?

What about pilots, and truckers who live in border states?  If they keep
going back and forth across the border will anyone check to see what, if
anything, they're bringing back?

I dunno.  If Brad is right that the top 1% pay 20% of the taxes and the
top 20% pay more than 50%--or however that worked out--they can't
possibly consume 4 times as much of their spendable income.  So they
will wind up with sharply lower taxes.  The poor pay nothing at all.
Essentials are not taxed.  Who makes up the difference?  It's got to be
the middle class--they're the only ones left.  (It won't be the Jews--we
never pay retail.)

So the 23% sales tax will become a 25% sales tax.  And then a 30% sales
tax.  Nothing to stop those feds from just raising the rates to bring in
the same amount of money.  I think it wouldn't be long before most in
the middle class were begging for the return of that hated income tax.

But, I don't really know, and I will check.  The fair tax sounds good on
that blank piece of paper, but I suspect that the devil is in the details.

Bill Effros