[Rhodes22-list] Re: Sky Car

Brad Haslett flybrad at gmail.com
Mon Jan 22 16:04:11 EST 2007

Mike,

It was a real simple fix.  I threw massive amounts of money at the problem
and it magically went away!  The engine driven pump came back free of charge
from the overhaul facility.  They said it bench tested fine but overhauled
it anyway.  After re-installation, the engine ran fine but wouldn't idle for
more than 30 seconds.  I was convinced we were sucking air from somewhere
and the electric back-up pump was the likely culprit.  That, and the fact it
saved my arse once was reason enough to send it off for overhaul.  Actually,
it saved my arm as much as my arse.  The alternative was to operate the
manual wobble pump with my right arm and use the other one for the yoke and
throttle - kinda like using a manual bilge pump to stay afloat while manning
the tiller and trimming the sails simultaneously.  We installed the
overhauled electric pump and now she purrs like a kitten.  I flew her to the
Gulf and back over Christmas to pick-up my brother but have been too busy to
go chase $100 cheeseburgers since.  Total bill was about $1700.  Value of
the fun?  Priceless.

The E-series Bonanza guru for the American Bonanza Society is a big believer
in Marvel Mystery Oil for our older E-series engines.  I've done a little
research on the subject and started using it in my cars, both oil and fuel
systems.  Anyone else have any Marvel Mystery experience?

Brad